Bates Middle School - Annapolis - The school has been abandoned since
the 1970’s. Many strange occurrences happen here. If you put your ear up to the
doors, you can hear moaning and scratching. It is rumored that people were killed here
in the 1960’s. It was a segregated school where only blacks went before it closed down.
Supposedly a girl was thrown out a window to her death. Her body was never found.
Reports of lights being on inside even without power to the building.
Five years ago the
state tried to make the old school into a senior center but something scared them away
after 2 months.
Update: I drove by the site of the old school during the
summer of 2005. The buildings are currently being renovated for
use as a school again. - Digi
Governor's Run Bridge - Also known as 'Cry Baby Bridge' -
Many years ago, a young unmarried teenaged girl
became pregnant and had a baby. She was very afraid to tell her parents. The
young girl took the baby and dropped it over the side of the Governor's
Bridge. The girl was shocked at what she had done and she jumped off the
bridge and was killed. Today, a woman can be seen standing on the bridge.
She has frightened many drivers. A truck driver saw the woman standing on
the bridge and as he tried to avoid hitting her he drove his truck into the
side of the bridge. The police came to investigate and could find no evidence
that anyone had been on the bridge.
Governor's Run Bridge Photos
Crain House in Glen
Burnie - The house was located off Crain
Highway and that why it was called the Crain House. It was a historical house that
dates back to the days when Glen Burney had large furnaces that we were used in
manufacturing. The house had been abandoned for many years and dated from the
1800's and the Civil War era. The house was once a beautiful farmhouse. It was
listed in the 1970's as a Maryland Historic Property. In the 1970's the Anne Arundel
Historical Society considered using the house as their headquarters but it never
happened. That may have saved the house. It was scheduled to be torn down
several times but historical groups, for a time, had prevented it from being torn
down. A dead body had been found in the basement by the police. The house was
demolished in March of 2003 by Anne Arundel County because of its condition.
An old woman once lived in the house and after she died people
realized that she did not past over. People became aware that the old woman was
haunting the house. The old woman never liked her kitchen light to be turned off when
she lived in the house. She felt safer when the kitchen light was on. The old woman's
spirit was in the house and her ghostly apparition had been seen looking out of the
upstairs window. Her ghostly image had been seen by many people who come to visit the
house. If you had driven by, you might still have see the light on in the kitchen.
There was no electricity in the house but the light was still on. The house had long
since been condemned and had caught fire twice. The grounds are said to still be
haunted by some of the locals who live in the area today.
Witch's Grave in Annapolis - In Truxton park, in Annapolis, right
across from Spa Cove apartments, if you go in the woods past the 3rd baseball field and you’ll
see a slanted tree where the witch was buried and escaped in the 1800’s never to be seen
again now it is rumored that on Halloween if you go deep enough into the woods you can see
the bodies of the people the witch killed hanging from the trees.
Back to the Top
Bowen's Inn - Bowen's Inn is haunted and employees have had
some strange experiences. Robert, one of the employees, saw the ghost one
Christmas. He was carrying boxes up to the third floor when he saw the
ghostly woman. The ghostly apparition was very tall, about six feet
tall and she was dressed in an old fashioned dress that was black with a
lace collar. He said that she was standing on the top of the stair landing.
He became frightened and started back down the steps and when he looked
back the ghost walked down the hall. Robert told the owner of the Inn
about what had happened. "Robert has never returned to the third floor.
I knew he was scared out of his mind," said Costatino.
Cedar Hill - The home was built in the early 1700's. The builder was
John Bigger who built the house in the shape of a cross. Eric Schneider decided
to buy Cedar Hill after he saw the unusual house. He rented the house out and
the tenant began experiencing strange occurrences. One woman tenant complained the
throw rug she put in the downstairs hallway would not stay in place. She was
always finding it rolled up and pushed against the wall. This happen every time
she laid it out. When the tenants began moving in, the door would slam behind them
when they would bring in boxes. The lights and television would turn themselves
on and off. The sister was tapped on the shoulder by an invisible hand. The nephew
came to visit and saw a man dressed in Civil war uniform standing in the den. The
family heard odd noises coming from the attic. The father decided to investigate and
found nothing, when he turned to go back downstairs, something pushed him from
behind. He fell down the stairs but was not injured badly. The father tried to
close the door to the basement and something kept pulling on the other side. He finally
said, "I don't care if the door is open," and the door slammed shut. The Schneiders
decided to move into the home and they soon found they were not alone, the rocker would
rock by itself and there were sounds of footsteps in the attic. Sometimes the noises
would go on for hours.
The Gray Lady of Maidstone - Maidstone is a haunted house that dates back to
the 1700's. The original owner of the house was Samuel Chew, who built Maidstone in the
late 1600's on a 2,000 acre parcel of land in Calvert County. It was used as a Quaker
meeting house by the Chew family. The Chew family owned the house for about 200 years.
It was replaced by a stone house in the middle 1700's. The ghost of a beautiful young
woman dressed in gray matches the description of Ann Chew. She has been seen dozens of
times over the years. She was married to Phillip Chew at Maidstone in 1724. Members of
the family reportedly saw her ghost walking the grounds of the house. She is sighted on
moonlit nights, walking near the gardens. She is described as being very graceful and
wearing a long gray veil that four feet in length. Some people believe the dress and
veil is her wedding gown. Ann's spirit has been dubbed "The Gray Lady". The ghost has
been seen in the gardens but she is rarely sighted in the house. A witness reported
seeing her leave the house when he was coming from the stable. He said the ghost gave him
a friendly smile. Not all of her antics have been as humorous. Ann pushed one man off the
couch where he was sleeping. In the house there is an unexplained tendency of several
pictures hanging in Maidstone's halls to be routinely switched around. Maidstone is a
private home and is located in Calvert County on the southeastern shore of Maryland. It
is located on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay.
Old Tavern & Farmhouse - This house and tavern are located on a large estate of
250 or more acres. In the 1960's, the farmhouse and tavern burned down. While repairing the house
workmen heard strange noises and footsteps. People have seen ghostly images on the stairs in the
house and have had the feeling of being watched.
Hance Home - Someone was murdered in the kitchen of this home many years ago. On the
anniversary of the murder, blood stains will appear at the site where the body was found. Strange
unexplained events happen throughout the house. The home has been visited by ghost hunting
experts who have witnessed the strange occurrences.
Grey Fox Inn - Solomons Island - The Grey Fox Inn is said the be haunted by a ghostly
dog. People who have visited the Inn on moonlit nights have seen the ghost dog. The home was built
in 1913 and the owners had a small poodle. The owner of the Inn has seen the dog on many occasions.
Sometimes the dog does not appear in its entirety. Parts of the dog makes an appearance like his
tail wagging across the floor.
Carmen's Gallery - Solomons Island - In 1940, when this was a home, a man fell off the
pier and drowned. The owner found the man's suitcase still packed in the attic as if he was ready to
leave. Local people told the owner about the man drowning. She discovered the man's name on the suitcase
in the attic. The owner had not seen the ghost but she has heard unexplained noises.
Broomes Island - Church Road - There is a old cemetery and if you
circle the cemetery three times on the third time fog will come rolling in and you will hear little girls
start to laugh.
Back to the Top
Port Tobacco Creek - Peddler's Rock or Blue Dog - Peddler's Rock is haunted
by the apparition of a dog. This dog has been dead over 200 years. People say
you can still hear the dog howling on cold winter nights. The dog is
large and charcoal gray with a blue tint in color. The dog was a faithful
companion to an old peddler who was murdered for his gold during the
Revolutionary War. The peddler and his dog were known to have worked the
same route for years. The old peddler was murdered for his gold and the
dog was murdered because he tried to save his master. It was reported that
George Washington said that he saw the ghost dog when he was staying at the
home of his doctor Dr. Gustavius Richard Brown at Rose Hill. It was a foggy
evening in February when he and Union General Joseph Hooker came across
the phantom dog. People say that even to this day the ghostly dog is still
standing guard where his master died.
Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Home - Waldorf - Dr. Mudd's home has been turned
into a Museum where visitors can learn about the life of the doctor who treated the leg of John Wilkes
Booth in 1865, the man who assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. The granddaughter of Dr. Mudd, Louise
Arehart is responsible of the restoration of his home.
She felt motivated to restore the home because of the reported visits from the ghost of Dr. Mudd.
She began hearing knocking at her front door and when she answered it no one would be there. She
heard footsteps walking up stairs when no one was at home. She began to catch glimpses of a man
dressed in black pants, vest and a white shirt with sleeves rolled up. Louise realized that this
was her great grandfather visiting her. The home of Dr. Mudd was falling into disrepair and she felt
that he had come back to get her to save his home. She began writing her local Congressman and looking for
help to save the historic home. The home is now listed on the National Register of Historic
Dr. Mudd Home Investigation Report #1
Dr. Mudd Home Investigation Photos #1
Dr. Mudd Home Investigation Report #2
Dr. Mudd Home Investigation Photos #2
- The Mudd Farmhouse - After Dr. Mudd
received a presidental pardon for his suspected role in the
death of President Lincoln, he returned back to his farmhouse only to live a life he could never
rebuild. Knocks at the door, footsteps, and an apparition have all been witnessed here.
Back to the Top
Surratt's Tavern - This is the tavern where John Wilkes
Booth plotted the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Footsteps and
the sounds of glasses and conversations are reported.
Glen Dale - Glen Dale Hospital - This hospital began its operation back in the early 1900’s, but
was abandoned in the late 1970’s. The hospital is made up of six different buildings on opposite sides of
the road. The hauntings seem to take place in the two structures closest to the road to the right. Most
doors and windows have been broken out and abandoned medical equipment is scattered everywhere within the
buildings. Sightings have included a large pack of ghost dogs, ghostly patients wandering the second
floor, and smoke coming from the crematorium. People have also complained of noises such as banging and
yelling coming from the hospital walls, screams and sometimes laughter. Inside there is sometimes a
strong odor of burning flesh and smoke coming from where they used to burn the bodies. In one particular
room there is said to be sightings of a man in a straightjacket who went insane after watching his
family being murdered by an intruder to his home while he hid in a closet. He was so overcome with the
guilt that he didn’t help his family that he went insane. He eventually killed himself after he broke into
the room where they kept the medication and overdosed.
Forest Haven - This old abandoned mental hospital and insane asylum, consists of multiple
buildings. It's almost like a full neighborhood, with institutes everywhere. Some buildings are still in
use by the army. Many things are scattered throughout the buildings, voices can be heard, tracks are made
on the floor in water or something wet, dolls are hanging from ceilings and are too high to reach. Dead
animals, a strange fog that sometimes you cant even see through until you are a few floors up in the
buildings, and various other scary things are seen and experienced here. A famous candy maker occupied
this place. A tombstone in a cemetery there lists everyone’s name who died there.
Back to the Top
Cry Baby Creek - Hollywood
(Saint Andrew's Church Road Bridge) - There is a bridge located near
Hollywood, Maryland, along
St. Andrew's Church Road. The bridge crosses over a dark, swampy area.
This location is home to two different ghosts. One is the spirits of a
young woman whose husband had gone off to fight in World War II. She
was pregnant when he left. After the war was going to be his first chance
to for her husband to see his young son. Shortly after the war ended, she
received a telephone call in the middle of the night from her husband. He
told her that he was in Hollywood and that he was borrowing a car and would
be coming home in a few minutes. There house lay along old St. Andrew's
Church Road. The woman was so excited about seeing her husband that she
bundled up the baby and started walking to meet her husband along the way.
There is a bad curve in the roadway, just before the bridge, and the woman
was walking around it just as her husband drove quickly around it from the
other direction, there was no way that he could stop. The young woman was
killed instantly and the baby flew out of her arms and over the side of the
bridge. The baby's body was never found. People who cross the bridge today,
often hear the sound of a baby crying and see a young woman running
frantically back and forth as though searching for it. The cries of the baby
seem to come from the waters below and the creek has been dubbed Cry Baby
Creek over the years.
The other ghost is that of a black woman. She jumps out of nowhere, right in
front of cars that are passing over the bridge; she has caused several
minor accidents on the bridge. There is the ruin of an old slave cabin near
the bridge. The cabin was the home of several slaves and among them was a
beautiful girl. The Plantation owner forced himself on her dozens of times,
so she planned to get even. One night she when she was to meet him in bed and
she killed him with an iron pan. She hadn't planned to kill him. She wanted to
injure him and run away. She gathered her belongings and ran into the woods.
The man was found dead and a posse was formed to hunt her down. They caught
her and killed her near the bridge. Many people believe the ghost of the black
woman seen at the bridge is the ghost of the young girl.
Cry Baby Creek Photos
Moll Dyer's Rock - Leonardtown (St. Mary's Historical Society) - An 875 lb.
boulder sits in front of the Historical Society. This is the rock that Moll Dyer the
witch hand was frozen too, when she was driven from her home on one of the coldest
nights of the year. The people of the town burned down her cabin. Moll froze to
death and she was found with her hand frozen to the rock. When they removed her body,
the impressions of her knees and hands were left at the scene. This happened more than
three hundred years ago and you can still see her hand print on the rock Her house was
located in an area that is now known as Moll Dyer's Run. Her ghostly apparition has been
seen floating over the land near the near where she lived. The large boulder was moved
in 1975, to the front of the Historical Society. People report feeling uncomfortable
around the rock. When people try to take pictures, their camera malfunctions. People have
reported feeling aches and pains when they stand by the rock.
In 1697, the town folk of St. Mary's County burned down Molly Dyer
cabin and drove her out of town. They called her a witch and wanted her banned from the
town. Molly was driven from her home on the coldest night of the year, ice covered the
ground and the woman was sent out in the wilderness with out proper dress. Molly body was
found a few days later in the forest. She was found with her one of hand frozen to a rock.
This happen over three hundred years ago and you can still see her hand print on the rock.
People say that her ghostly spirit still walks in the woods where she was so badly
Moll Dyer's Rock & St. Mary's Historical Society Photos
Historical Jail House
Charlotte Hall - Charlotte Hall Veterans Home - Residents of this nursing home, sees
small children wandering and playing through the halls, it is said that floor 3B is haunted, they
are no residents that lives on that floor, it is completely EMPTY! but when nurses walking through
on night shift can see call lights flicker on and noises heard. before Charlotte Hall Veterans Home
was built, they was once a type of military school for boys that was there. Some how the school burned
down and some of the children were burnt and killed also. and it is said that the Veterans Home is now
haunted by the children and the people who has died while living in the home.
2005 Correction: The fire in Charlotte Hall was in the early 1900s. No one was killed.
The veteran's center that is at the location has been there only 20 years. Charlotte Hall was a school
from 1723 and a Military Academy since 1774. Yes there were several deaths at that school even up to
the 1960's such as sports accidents & heart attacks. There was a student that drowned at a pond located
behind the school just off the ground where students would go to swim. One boy did drown there in
1909; a cadet named Pierre, there was a plaque on the entrance of the school in his memory. A former
student reports, to scare the younger students the upper classmen would tell the younger students
about his ghost roaming the halls and still swimming back at Smoochers Pond.
Point Lookout - Located on the peninsula of the Potomac
River and Chesapeake Bay, Point Lookout has been widely considered one of the largest hot spots of
paranormal activity on the east coast. Mostly because its one of the few places where its believed
that the entire area is haunted. Ghost soldiers are seen roaming the park day and night and are
often mistaken for rein-actors. Many of the haunted places at Point Lookout include:
Pt Lookout Lighthouse Investigation Report #1
Pt Lookout Lighthouse Investigation Report #2
- Fort Lincoln - The last fort of 3 forts at Point Lookout still standing. This earthen
fort has been restored to replicate how it looked during the civil war. Stories have come
from the fort of bullets flying at night and glass breaking. Only to find everything intact
the next day.
- Point Lookout Lighthouse - Built in 1830 and active for 135 years. The lighthouse
is widely considered the most haunted lighthouse in America. Since the 1860's, there have
been signs of paranormal activity within the lighthouse. The ghost of Ann Davis, the
lighthouses first keeper, has been seen standing atop the stairway. Photographs have been
taken of soldiers and other anomalies inside. Voices have been recorded inside by many
paranormal investigators including Sarah Estep. Sarah is considered a pioneer of EVP work
in the paranormal field. An E.V.P. she captured in the basement of the lighthouse, of a
boy saying “I was seeing the war”, found its way to Hollywood in the movie “White Noise”.
- Camp Hoffman - The largest prison camp for confederates in the war. Established
after the battle of Gettysburg and held up to approximately. 52,000 prisoners between August
1863 and June 1865. Of those 52,000 nearly 14,000 died from various diseases, exposure and
starvation. It is estimated that only 50 people ever escaped out of the prison. The prison
held soldiers as well as civilian men, women and children with the youngest being a baby
who was born there. The prison also spent time being guarded by African-American union
soldiers who often found themselves guarding their former masters. Soldiers have been seen
darting across the main road that leads through Point Lookout. Mists and fog have also been
seen on many occasions.
- Hoffman Loop in the park - The original site of a confederate mass grave. The
buried soldiers have been moved to where the memorial is now located and a small cement
marker now shows where they were originally buried. It is said that the ground near the
marker is always cold. Sites 137 and 139 are considered to be active with paranormal
- Conoy Circle in the park - Eagle cabin has been reported to be full of paranormal
activity. A couple staying overnight said that bottles of water that were on a table in
the cabin were moving and rolling off the table in the middle of the evening. The bottles
were open when they woke up. Other noises were also heard. They left the park early in the
morning and said they'd never come back.
- Confederate Memorial - A final resting place for 3,384 confederates. They have
been moved twice since their original burial. A 84 foot tall monument stands here and was
the first monument erected for confederate soldiers. Many anomalies have been seen here
including orbs, mists, and fog.
- Original Campsite - The original Point Lookout campsite was located on the far
end of lake Conoy next to the Potomac river. It is said that some indentations of graves
can still be found in this area.
Piney Point Lighthouse - Called the “Lighthouse of Presidents,”
Piney Point Light has been visited by many past US Presidents including Theodore Roosevelt, Millard
Fillmore, Franklin Pierce & James Monroe. The park on which the lighthouse is stationed was once the
destination of celebrity vacationers. Built in 1836, by Havre de Grace native John Donahoo, the lighthouse
construction included a stone from the same quarry as that used in the White House and US Capitol.
One Halloween night, the director of St. Clements Island Potomac River Museum, Michael Humphries asked
if he could move some paint. A voice he did not recognize responded, “suit yourself.” He reported to have
recorded the voice. Other individuals claim to have heard it also. A tenant in the keeper’s quarters has
seen a woman dressed in 1920s style clothing, smoking a cigarette. As the tenant approached the woman, she
Piney Point Lighthouse photos and history.
Back to the Top
Oak Lawn/Hayden House, Ellicott City, Howard Co. - Historically
located on a tract of land called "Mount Misery", Oak Lawn, the current location of the Howard County
Law Library, was once the home of Attorney Edwin Parsons Hayden and his family. Mr. Hayden served in the
Maryland House of Delegates from October 1846 to March 1847 and was later named the first clerk of the
Howard County Court by Governor Thomas George Pratt. After the death of Mr Parsons in 1850, the family
turned their home into the Oak Lawn Seminary, a private school for girls. After that, the house was
occupied by several different owners, including the Howard County Board of Education and the County
In 1981, the house sat vacant for several years before being taken over by the county
law library. Stories about Oak Lawn began many years ago and continue today, although they seemed to
peak during the 70's when the house was occupied by the district court and the county office of parole and
probation. Lights would turn off and on by themselves. A rocking chair would rock by itself. An employee
saw a man through glass pains of the front door and upon inspection of the house found there was no one
there. Other events include sudden coldness, locked doors found unlocked, and doorknobs turning but no
one entering. The most common occurrences however were phantom smells. As employees made their way into
work smells of bacon, eggs, freshly brewed coffee, and soup would waft throughout the house. The source of
these smells was one of the more disturbing parts for the county employees because there was no working
kitchen or any type of cooking device in the house at all. One particular staff member, who worked late
hours, reported a number of events like seeing cloth napkins fold and re-fold themselves before his
eyes and hearing a number of noises that he could not explain. This same employee reported seeing a "white
haze" out of the corner of his eye as he walked from the first to second floor of the house. He looked
quickly only to see the misty ball of vapor hanging in the air and then vanish. To this day, Oak Lawn
remains one of the most haunted locations in Ellicott City.
Millers Church, Washington Co. - In the 1930’s, this church
was believed to be used for Satanic rites. Years later, the church burned
down. One night a young couple went parking at the church. Not long
afterwards, when they were ready to leave, the car would not start. The
guy told his girlfriend to stay in the car and keep the doors locked while
he went to get help. When he came back, she was gone and the doors were
still locked. He looked up, only to find her hanging from the old oak
tree in front of the church. Sometimes at night you can see a figure
hanging from that same tree. Some witnesses even claim that they have
been chased by a phantom hearse near the site of the old church.
Furnace Town, Worchester Co. - In 1832, the Maryland Iron Company
began operating the Nassawango Iron Furnaces, employing hundreds of people,
mining and smelting ore and burning the furnaces day and night. Molten ore was
poured into bars and then loaded onto barges that would taken them down Nassawango
Creek to the Potomac River and then to Chesapeake Bay. From there, the iron was
shipped all over the country. Not surprisingly in those days, many slaves were put to
work doing the hottest, most dangerous jobs. One of these slaves was a man named
The Maryland Iron Company bought all of the land where Furnace
Town was located. For several years, they did well, but then competition opened up in
other parts of the country. Finally, in 1833, the company went bankrupt and they
started looking for a buyer for the town. Although the sale was to include the furnace,
a grist mill, a sawmill, a mansion, homes for the iron workers, a store and a number of
other businesses as well as the land, there were no buyers until 1837. At that time,
Judge Thomas A. Spence decided that he liked the idea of owning his own town.
Both Spence and his wife were quite wealthy when they bought the
town. Many of the workers came back and the slaves were once again leased out, including
Sampson Hat. The little village named “Pocomoke Forest” flourished.... but it was an
expensive endeavor and in 10 years, Spence lost both he and his wife's fortunes.
By 1847, he had spent all of the money he had and he was forced to
close the furnaces down. The people whose lives depended on the foundry moved on to other
places, abandoning their homes and businesses and the slaves were moved on to other tasks...
all except for Sampson Hat. He simply refused to leave.
He lived on in Furnace Town by himself, surviving on what was
available. He was eventually forgotten and after the Civil War was set free, although he
had not labored as a slave for more than 20 years. Eventually time caught up with him and
he died at the age of 107.
Sampson made it perfectly clear (to anyone who would listen) that he
wanted to be buried at Furnace Town when he died. But for some reason. his final wish was not
granted and his body was placed elsewhere... and many believe that is why his ghost is
still haunting the place today.
After Furnace Town and Pocomoke Forest were abandoned, nature and
time took its toll on the village and buildings and they slowly deteriorated. Then,
in 1962, a family named Foster bought the town and gave it to the Worcester County
Historical Society. It has since been restored and opened as a museum.
The apparition of a tall black man has been seen walking through
parts of the small village over the last several years, especially during the restoration
efforts. He continues to haunt the locale to this day. Perhaps he got his final wish in the
end. He may not have been buried at Furnace Town, but there is a good chance that Sampson Hat
has never left.
Back to the Top